Christian, what do you have? In a word Christ. Today I am studying the book of Hebrews so I picked up my favorite commentary. The Believer's Bible Commentary by William MacDonald. In it Dr. MacDonald says that the Epistle to the Hebrews is really an answer to the question, "What do you have?" (Macdonald, 2157)
Per Dr. McDonald in Christ we have:
- "One who is greater than the prophets."
- "One who is greater than the angels."
- "One who is greater than Moses."
- "One who is greater than Joshua."
- "One whose priesthood is greater than Aaron."
- "One who serves in a better sanctuary."
- "One who has introduced a better covenant."
- "One who is the antitype of the typical furniture and veil."
- "One whose once-for-all offering of Himself for sin is superior to the repeated sacrifices of bulls and goats."
Christian, what do you have? God’s Word in His Son.
"God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they." (Heb 1:1-4)
MacDonald, William. Believer's Bible Commentary: A Complete Bible Commentary in one volume. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1995.
The Lockman Foundation. The Holy Bible, Updated New American Standard Bible. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1995.